Steering Analysis - Autopilot Application / Specification
To assist our applications personnel in selecting the proper components for your vessel please obtain as many of the following items as possible:
I. Steering system;
1. Provide length in inches. ,
2. Exceptional behavior ( extreme weather helm, hard to handle in following seas, etc)
3. Proceed to section II
1. Wheel diameter in inches)
2. System type ( Hydraulic, twin cable, single cable, "Whitlock type", other )
3. Turns hard over to hard over
4. Rudder degrees hard over to hard over ( cable systems are typically 60 - 90 degrees)
5. Estimated force at the rim of the wheel to steer.
6. Exceptional behavior ( extreme weather helm, hard to handle in following seas, etc)
II. Vessel specifications
A. Length ( in feet)
B. Beam ( at water line)
C. Underwater configuration ( full keel, keel and skeg, center board, fin keel- spade rudder )
E. Rig, sailing vessels, sloop, ketch, schooner, etc.
F. Engine(s) and prop data
G. Cruising speed
H. Manufacturer, year and model
Please describe how you anticipate using your vessel and how the pilot will fit in with that use.
( examples, short handed sail cruising or single handed ocean racing, etc. )